485 Front Street North, Suite B
Issaquah WA 98027
Store Hours 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Pacific time Monday - Saturday
|Our Medicis rack before|| ||Our Medicis rack after|
Many of us were shocked when we learned a few years back that DMC would stop producing Medicis wool yarn. As supplies dwindled and color after color sold out, people wondered what they would use in its place. More than one company has come along offering yarn that they suggest we use instead of Medicis, but none of it is yarn that duplicates the color range of Medicis.
We are pleased to announce that the yarn formerly known as Medicis is back. Here are some important details:
1) This yarn comes from the same source and is spun at the same spinning mill that DMC used. It is also being dyed with the same dyes and formulas that were used by DMC.
2) It is being produced in nearly the same color range as when it came from DMC, with a few minor changes.
3) Color numbers are the same.
4) COLOR CARDS ARE NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. Due to color inaccuracies, we are also unable to have accurate color scans of the yarn on the internet. If you are familiar with the old colors or are lucky enough to have an old color card, you may order using the same color numbers as before.
5) Yardage of skeins is the same as before, 25 meters (approximately 27 yards). Skeins now consist of pre-cut lengths rather than one continuous 25 meter length. Each skein when opened up consists of five very long strands (a little over five yards each).
6) It is no longer available in hanks.
7) Six old colors are discontinued. Although we still have inventory of these colors, when they are gone they will no longer be dyed. Thirteen NEW colors are also being produced.
There are bound to be skeptics out there who will question whether the new yarn is the same as the old. In my opinion and that of most of our customers who have bought it, it is virtually identical. As with every thread, dye lots can and will vary between batches. This tends to be more pronounced over larger periods of time. A good practice if you need to add newer thread in a different dye lot to an older project is to blend old and new in your needle, if you still have any of the old yarn left.
Here is a list of all Medicis colors, with both discontinued and new colors indicated:
|8302||8303||8304||8305||8306||8307* - sold out||8308||8309* - sold out||8314||8313|
|8995||8996||8997|| || || || || || || |
*Discontinued color, available while supplies last
Copyright 2010-2016. All prices are in U.S. dollars and are subject to change without notice.